Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #195
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Ki, Chi, and "Energy"

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Hi Ron:

I was aware of your background with Maruyama sensei, so my question wasn't directed at you personally. I was pretty sure that senior students of Tohei and Maruyama can perform the ki tests. I was making a more general point: that it's all too easy to create a theory of ki untethered to empirical, testable propositions. And I would be wary of theories that do not easily provide us with falsifiable assertions and more concretely, a definite way of training to improve our aikido.

best,

R
Hi Raul, I know this was addressed to Ron, but here I am.

The places where 'ki', or extended power as one definition, has entered my life in a concrete way has mostly not been in the dojo, but rather on the street and in my 'real life'. It has proved it's pre-emption,connection, and combat effectiveness. Which covers a lot of threads obsessions about something lacking in the art or something lacking in the training that's now offered. Aikido has met it's mettle in my first hand life and that covers it, for me.

For others whose lives center around empiricism the method you describe would seem more appropriate to them.

Having said that, I would enjoy training in whatever traditional skills find their way to my training. Including the Ki society exercises that are both grounded and fascinating.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 01-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems