View Single Post
Old 03-14-2001, 06:21 PM   #15
darin
Quote:
Sam wrote:
This is a long discussed and difficult topic (see thread on 'does aikido really work?' etc).

My opinion in this is that aikido is more effective than striking arts in the street arena.

I disagree. My teacher is highly ranked in aikido and karate. I asked him which style he favours in self defence. He said he doesn't know which is better but he found karate much easier to use in fighting and more practical against multiple attacks. But he also told me that it depends on the situation and who you are fighting.

What determines the appropriate fighting style for a situation is the environment, type or no. of attackers and distance.

I think its best to be able to punch and kick as well as throw and lock. Also people who train in and respect other styles generally have a better understanding of self defence. Did you know that Royce Gracie in an article said that he loves Kickboxing. He took it up so as to have a better insight into how kickboxers attack. But he is not shy to boast how he has learnt to do a mean axe kick.

I have never had to fight outside of a dojo. I have been confronted many times but have been able to talk my way out of things or just been lucky. I attribute this to aikido but I have met some people who do aikido and still get into fights and still get beaten up.