View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #240
Buck
United_States
Re: Who Sez O'Sensei Was Wise!

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Hi Buck.

But I would venture that positing a "human need for truth" as an explanation for "myth" is itself a (rationalist) myth.
Yea, maybe so LOL...

Quote:
Similarly, for a scientifically educated modern person to treat "myth" as a flawed attempt at empirical explanation by the uneducated is to "misrecognize" [in the sense of French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu] the role of myth as explicated by Campbell, Jung, and others.

It also tends, in my view, to obscure why myth, symbols, and stories can be used to manipulate us all so very effectively. That capacity does not end with the dawning of the age of reason; if it did, the history of politics as well as religion would read far differently, I think.
Yea, that is definitely on my mind though out this discussion and anyone would be foolish to over-look that. And, I guess, I erred by mentioning it too lightly before. opps...

I am trying to avoid a focused discussion on Campbell etc.because I think it is a peripheral that by default can serve in seeing myths as Campbell etc. do, and not how, specifically, the Japanese do or O'Sensei did.

Thanks Dave for the heads up and good points.

FWIW. By viewing Japanese myth and how it effected the Japanese and how it worked to shape Japan, influenced O'Sensei to use and draw upon for Aikido should lead us to a better and pure understanding of Aikido. Why should it be viewed it any other way? Well, we know what has happened when it did.

I guess it is a matter of turning and looking in the right direction and at the right thing.

Last edited by Buck : 03-11-2009 at 03:50 PM.