View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #227
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Who Sez O'Sensei Was Wise!

Morihei Ueshiba did not need Tenri-kyo. He already had Onisaburo Deguchi and, earlier, Nao Deguchi of Omoto-kyo. Omoto-kyo, Tenri-kyo, Kurozumi-kyo, and many other 'new religions' all followed a similar pattern in their creation and organization. Many people had revelations, became 'enlightened', did all kinds of unusual things, and attracted disciples. The last such 'new' religion was formed in 1966: Aum Shinri-kyo, whose founder is now under sentence of death.

I can hear the cries of shock and horror, if aikido is compared to Aum Shinri-kyo. Aum Shinri-kyo was a cult; Aikido is not a cult etc etc. Probably not, but its origins and early organization followed a very common pattern in Japan.

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Another thing I would like to introduce to this discussion that I feel important is Tenrikyo, and its parallels to Aikido. Why do I want to do this, well because it is my firm belief what we think unique about one of O'Sensei's life experiences isn't. An experience of O'Sensei's that was similar to a previous experience of Nakayama Miki (1798-1887) the founder of Tenrikyo.

O'Sensei's religious experience shifted Aikido towards shaping, forming, its spirituality. An experience of O'Sensei's deeply rooted in Shinto, as means of validation. A similar spiritual experience of Nakayama Miki which was also rooted in Shinto. She experienced a divine revelation in form of a permanent possession by a kami. via a trance gave validity to a religion/spirituality. Miki event was also rooted in Shinto.

My point is, is that often we see O'Sensei as an island unconnected to what all Japanese are connected too. It is as if the building bricks for Aikido and what created Aikido are unique unto themselves and not connected to anything. That those bricks are not taken from anything else to build Aikido. We see O'Sensei too much like ourselves and not like who he was and what he was connected to beyond some Budo and Japanese words, hakamas, gis, and dojo design. Because of this, it causes allot of misunderstanding and misinformation concerning O'Sensei and Aikido. We have to equally put in the same effort to do the research, find the facts, etc. as we do in practice and enjoying Aikido, and not depend on that single one sourse for that information.

P A Goldsbury