View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #30
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: covering your openings

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hi Michael, thanks for the description. I didn't think I could do a good job on it since I can't do suwari waza much anymore due to my knees. I did notice that you didn't seem to specify the initial entry that you see in Parker Shihan's film. Do you do that in your dojo? I know there are differencs even in the yoshinkan... Everything else you described is exactly how I remember it.
Hi Ron,

Sorry for the confusion. It was a fast post and maybe not as clear as I would have wanted it to be. We definately do do the initial entry as shown in the clip (this is the 2nd technique that he did).

Here's where I was trying to say it. The first line (badly) says this because I was focusing on the way to push using the top of the foot as your pushing point and didn't specify that you would actually be moving. I also forgot to say that your outside knee would also be involved in the push <wry grin>. The "with uke's pull" part is what other people have been saying about moving before the attack grab is complete so that shite is in motion:

---From Previous Post---

2. Push off the top of the outside foot (which is touching the mat in seiza) about 2/3 of the way into uke's stance. The arms should move in kamae with uke's pull into a circle into uke and then out into your center, lightly hooking the outside hand baby finger onto uke's grabbing wrist. It's important not to lose contact with uke's hand at this point and the gripped arm should push into the V of uke's grip so they can't let go.

---End Previous Post---

A couple of things after seeing the video clip.

1. I think that the uke was being a little too "uke-ish" and backed up on his attack and this is why Parker Shihan didn't go in as much as I would have expected.

2. Chida Shihan advocates leaning back much farther than Parker Shihan did in the clip. This is just FYI...obviously Parker Shihan doesn't need to, but if anyone is having trouble with this technique this point may help them.

It was a good clip...thanks Charles for posting it.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs