View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Leading your uke?

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
It seems to me that this will only work so long as uke decides to do what you want, on his own, in a dojo. This fails when you're actually fighting someone smarter than a horse. As for myself, I prefer to be in a position where the person has no choice but to move with me (not me moving with him), using connection.
By moving as Ron is describing one is moving with Uke but just slightly ahead. What the Uke wants is to strike or grab or whatever. Ultimately, one is grabbing their mind and manipulating their intention, their desire to harm you. As one progresses the circles, the leading becomes smaller and smaller. Initially, I just moved as Saotome sensei told my sensei, "Move in or out, left or right." After that by being in a safe place, say right next to them you can change as they change, adjust as they do. I let them lead, but yet stay just a little bit ahead of them. It sounds contradictory but that is how it plays out. When I do it, I feel very connected to my Uke and it also plays out that way in a randori setting as well.

Train Hard
Jason