View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #44
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States
Re: Third Wave Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I have to admitt, I don't know your situation and I don't really understand the intention of this thread. But could it be that you struggle with a situation in which qualified teachers have more and more left the reliable structures of clear lines of tradition - i.e. the hierarchical structures ... - and are now teaching mostly independent on their own?
Hi Carsten, rather than struggling, I actually find it exciting that more teachers are leaving political structures within aikido, and striking out on their own more independently. I agree that these - and other - arts are passed down through lineages of people. And even during it's time, the hierarchical structure of Aikikai and other large organizations certainly helped to promote and spread aikido to the world. And aikido - as a progressive and living art - has passed through that stage of evolution.

And here's Yamada again, in an interview
Quote:
In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality.
Do you know of any other kind of art endeavor - such as music, painting, cooking, etc. - that requires people to kowtow (1. act in an excessively subservient manner.) to a political organization, teachers, technical form, and ranking structure?

There are quite a few people in the world now who have trained 25+ years - many with direct students of M. Ueshiba. The last generations of direct students have been passing away in recent years.

More and more, there are qualified people teaching and training independently, with little interest in politics and ranking. These people are free to explore, refine, and reinvent pedagogical and training methods. These people are often open and sharing freely with others. They're also incorporating and experimenting with new technologies and communication.

I'm not putting out - nor am I hearing from others who are teaching, discovering, and exploring independently - any kind of anti-Folgers or anti- Starbucks sentiments. There is nothing "anti-establishment" about this.

"Third wave" coffee is not anti-establishment. In fact, they're thankful for the market, resources, and technologies that allows them to develop, prosper, and even exist. And they all have diversified and highly individual expressions that revolve around certain common core principles.

In 2008, Jonathan Gold of the LA Weekly defined third wave coffee:
Quote:
The first wave of American coffee culture was probably the 19th-century surge that put Folgers on every table, and the second was the proliferation, starting in the 1960s at Peet's and moving smartly through the Starbucks grande decaf latte, of espresso drinks and regionally labeled coffee. We are now in the third wave of coffee connoisseurship, where beans are sourced from farms instead of countries, roasting is about bringing out rather than incinerating the unique characteristics of each bean, and the flavor is clean and hard and pure.
There are pockets of aikido and practitioners that we could call "third wave aikido" who are doing exactly that. It's the idea of taking newer technologies and levels of experience, and really taking it back to "old school." Another way to look at it would be something along the lines of a return to "pre-industrial martial arts."