Thread: Aiki in MMA
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Settokuryoku
Dojo: Aikikai affliated club
United_States
Re: Aiki in MMA

The quote by Wayne Gretzky somes up an idea the importance of strategy that shares with Aikido and MMA is an ear mark any great athlete of any sport.
A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.

Tommy Lasorda said, The difference between the possible and the impossible lies in a person's determination. Great athletes have this mental attitude that helps them raise to the occasion to achieving their goal, to win. You can have all the skill in the world, but without determination it doesn't mean [a thing].

One of my favorites is by Pat Riley, If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges. Another important attitude you find in great athletes or martial artists. You find the opposite in those who never become great.

The difference is I think many people think Aiki is just an tool, a weapon they pull out and use. It could be. It could be, for me Aiki is a word, a sound to describe something and it doesn't do that very well at all. A sound doesn't win a fight, what does is what a person does, a combination of mental attitude and the skill. To be great you need the talent. Talent is the ability to see and do things your opponents don't and can't do first. To see how all things come together and what that outcome will be as a result. So Ali's bobbing and weaving is just more than the act of moving in a pattern way. It was aiki. Just as Osensei in his way bobbed and weaved was aiki. I can't think that aiki being a very old Japanese word represents a complex theory and movement requiring specialized micro-instruction. No, it had to be simple and straight forward, it wasn't magic or some advance mathematical formula. Why, well as then and now we are governed by the same laws of physics. If I over complicate my coaching, it shuts down my players over burdening them. My goal is not to impress my players with words, but to bring the best performance out of them and their abilities.To challenge them to levels they didn't know they could reach. It is simple and doesn't need complex language. That is what leadership is about simply communication, being able to motivate, having the tools and skills to do so . With that said, If I could, the beer is on me.

Last edited by Settokuryoku : 07-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.