View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #59
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Beautiful Uke

Quote:
Duane Garvin wrote: View Post
I see your point. Many of the videos I have watched have the appearance of kyu level experience than yudansha level. What I mean is they are still doing the "A" then "B" then "C" method instead of just "doing it". A kin to "going through the motions" and not gaining the ... enlightenment is too strong a word... understanding of how and why that particular ukeme (and/or technique) works. I chalk it up to being "too formal" or "rigidly classical" in their training and not being allowed to experiment with it via different attacks. Or it could be from a lack of a realistic attacks.
Eventually (after several/many years) I started conceptualizing how certain techniques worked (nikkyo for example) and now I can slap nikkyo on someone from angles I was never taught. I believe this is when the art starts to come alive. When you understand how and why something works instead of mimicking or parroting it, when you "just do it" (thank you Nike ). Kind of like "playing the instrument" instead of repeating a song you learned.
Nicely said.

Thanks.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.