View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 10:22 PM   #66
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Kathryn Cole (Kat.C) wrote:
I must be missing something, I don't see the correlation between the two. Mr.Linden just wants to enjoy his men only time,as many men I know do, whereas David Duke's beliefs are a part of him, fully integrated into his life. I'm not sure I've worded this well at all. Let me ask you this; do you think that my desire to have girl only times makes me like David Duke?
Well, if you created a formal girls only organization then I would say yes, the reasoning is similar. You're creating an exclusive club whose membership is based on a genetic (and generally speaking, immutable) characteristic. Now, I venture to say that your intent in forming the group and the result of its activities would probably not be as destructive as David Duke's are, but it's still gender based discrimination. Now, contrast that with, for example, the requirement for a master's degree. I may not have one, but I could go out and get one if I had sufficient motivation. There's a world of difference there.

Suppose I said that I had a desire to have "white only" times? Would that be different then "girl only" times? If so, then why?
Quote:
Kathryn Cole (Kat.C) wrote:
As for the legality of it well, what would be the point of challenging it, that would be pretty mean, some guys are just getting together to train, let them.
I wasn't advocating any kind of legal challenge - as I said in my post,"I also feel that he ought to be able to form an exclusive training group if that's what he really wants", but you probably know as well as I do that in the US these things often come around anyway, like it or not.

Best,

Chris