Thread: 5kyu test
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: 5kyu test

Sorry this won't help much, but "it depends." It depends on the requirements of the organization your dojo belongs to (if any), and on your sensei. Talk to your sensei. Also, if you have been given any kind of Student Guide booklet for your school, your requirements might be in it.

You can get a general idea of what some 5th kyu tests are like by watching them on YouTube. Here's my test (please do not take it as a model of correct technique!).

Our requirements are:
5 Kyu Exam Content
Katate-dori: kokyunage or kokyuho
Kata-dori: nikkyo (omote & ura)
Munetsuki: kotegaeshi
Shomen-uchi: ikkyo (omote & ura), iriminage
Gyakute-dori: kokyuho or kokyunage, shihonage (omote & ura)
Jiyuwaza: grabs
Ukemi: receiving jiyuwaza
Bokken: 1st suburi
Jo: 1st suburi (choku-tsuki)

Here's another 5th kyu test by "lordosaya", which is lovely to watch. He is a model of composure and posture.

Here's the first in a series of "5th Kyu Test Requirements (USAF)" by Yamada Sensei of New York Aikikai.

But those will only be of very limited help, and may actually mislead you about what your school expects. Ask your teacher, and talk to the other students in your dojo. Those who have recently tested for 5th kyu might have the clearest memories of what the test included.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba