View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Aikido Separatism / Fundamentalism?

Thanks for your replies folks. Good stuff to think about so far.

Quote:
As I could see Aikido practitioners are often free to go to some other dojos to train with other teachers to gain more experience. For example when I traveled to San Diego for 5 days I was advised by my sensei to visit another particular dojo which was also Iwama style. And as I understand the person going to another dojo is not paying for his visits. I'm wondering if that would be the same with some other style dojo. Let's say the instructor in the dojo does not know your instructor and practices another style. What would happen then? Would you be allowed to train with them without quitting your dojo and if so would you be charged for that?
Hi Suren, as far as our dojo goes, all visitors are welcome and they have all trained for free so far regardless of style of Aikido or martial art. Unless they plan to stay for an extremely long time and actually join the dojo I tend not to charge folks . To me it's all part of the spirit of building links and bonds within the Art. When I've trained at Aikikai dojos abroad I've not been charged for the training as they knew I was visiting only for a few weeks. It may be different elsewhere though.

Quote:
The truth is there are indeed some good reasons for being exclusive about who to include in some dojos or any organization, but these reasons can not be because someone is beneath contempt or unworthy as a person or can never change. It may be that for particular reasons and purposes of an organization a particular prospect may not be well-suited at that time.
Hey Richard, I agree totally on your point above. There may be exclusion of certain groups for certain reasons. I think Ueshiba M. himself used to interview folks before teaching them Aikido so as to get a feel for the character of the person who wanted to learn. But the case I'm, referring to is sort of like "we walk the one true path and you are not worthy" which to be honest I have heard before from one person, but even among those who believe they walk the one true Aikido path, they tend to be willing to "convert" the "heathens" to their way of doing things y'know?

I mean, we don't discriminate when folks from other styles like Karate, Judo etc. come to train with us, why should we discriminate within Aikido itself? It's just something that's a bit shocking to me is all.

Thanks for the comments so far.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca