View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #54
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Quote:
Thomas Donelson wrote: View Post
I have sufficient training to have applied wrist-locks for dance in conflict situations, in my life.
Would you be willing to elaborate on this? Different folks have different ideas as to what "sufficient" entails. What exactly are your experiences?
Also, I'm not sure how dance applies to learning joint manipulation. I can see how studying tempo, distance and frame can reinforce learning similar things in Aikido, but I can also see how it could potentially dilute or distract from it.

Quote:
I have used Aikido for the release of anger from others...
How so?

Quote:
If you and others need more practice to be able to confidently utilize wrist-locks for dance, then I would encourage those who lack confidence in their wrist-lock and foot-work skills, to gain further expertise; either at a dojo, or videos, or friends, or volunteering, whatever.
I've done some dance and I've done some Aikido and I'm not sure how wrist locks are for dance. I also don't think these folks are lacking in confidence of themselves, but rather in what they've "seen" of you. It sounds like you're a dancer thinking about teaching budo and while there is overlap between the two, it's pretty slight leaving lots of room for potential harm.

Quote:
I am suggesting that those interested in young people might look at how wrist locks can be taught to youngsters, at earlier ages, as part of channeling Anger, and creating Dialogue.
A good social environment can do wonders in these things. Incorporating Aikido lessons into a dance group can be wonderful too, i imagine. I'm a little worried that you seem so interested in wrist locks though. My opinion is that controlling an attacker's center is harder through the wrist than, say the shoulder, because there are more articulations down the line (elbow, shoulder, etc.) Imagine pushing a broom in a very specific direction, but with a broom that has 2 or 3 hinges along the shaft. It can be done, but it's easier for a neophyte to avoid those hinges and hold the broom closer to the base...if that makes any sense.

Quote:
My interest in Wrist-Lock Dance is also Spiritual, in that harmony with other individuals is not taught by many branches of Aikdo or other Martial Arts. So my stubborness is based on a belief in the conflict resolution aspects of Aikdo, and the Anger Discharge aspects of Aikdo moves.
I think your intentions sound great and really, what you're describing is right up my alley, but serious teaching requires serious study of your own and I think that takes years.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!