View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #21
darin
Re: Testing for 2nd kyu and beyond

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Hello Again, I know that is expensive even for any income, unless your rich. If you have the money I say do it, but the price of true training is invaluable. In the USAF we do pay a small membership fee to promote events, seminars so the Shihan's can come to our neck of the woods. It does help though being close to Sensei or having a resident Sensei. Any way I know it is important to belong to an organization that is extablished in the art and is recognized, however why do you have to, if you are being trained correctly, legitiamitely by a Sensei that is, or has been trained correctly. Why can't they test theirstudentswithin their ownestablishment. Now I know thereis commodary, and the sharing of ideas, and styles, but if you cannot afford to travel, or have a Sensei come to your dojo then tape it, email it whatever. The point I am trying to make is if you are legitly being trained why can't your Senior (Shodan-Nidan-Sandan-Yondon's etc.promote to their respective rank?Just a thought.

Many Thanks Jamie
Jamie,

I totally agree with you on this. The reason most dan grades can't grade people past shodan or write certificates is due to politics and money. I believe that if a student reaches a certain grade they should automatically be allowed to instruct, grade and write out certificates for anyone below their level.