View Single Post
Old 07-26-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
Juan Alberto
Dojo: Tengru Dojo
Re: beginner's learning curve

Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus
Hello All,

I've just begun my Aikido training (coming up on one month now) and it is at once exhilarating, challenging, fun, and frustrating. I have the privilege of training at a dojo with many senior students, all of which are both gracious and helpful to those of us new to the art. It's a good thing, too, because I've never felt so uncoordinated in my life (ok, left foot goes here, other left foot goes here, hands up, turn, oops, I've left myself open to a devasting groin kick, etc.)

My question is this: how long did it take you before you felt comfortable with your body movement and footwork so that your techniques began to flow more naturally, rather than having to follow a running alogorithm in your overloaded brain? I understand, of course, that it will take years for my mind and body to develop a healthy working relationship, but there must be some point when things "start to click."

I guess what I'm really asking for are anecdotes about your own experience and learning curve as beginners and the moment(s) you began to feel a bit more comfortable with your abilities.

Even though I'm about to complete my Ph.D., trying to learn aikido makes me feel like a complete idiot!

Thanks!

David Brookshire
Don't think in Ph.D. terms just natural movement it's alot more like walking than you can believe. Keep up the hard training if I can do it you CAN too.

Sincerely,

Juan Alberto