View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Vickery
...You know, it's just so soon after to tell for sure, but I don't really see my aikido being *any* different after taking that course ...BUT one thing for sure is, I'm *different* inside now! It's hard to explain, but that course has a life changing effect! I came away knowing that if I'm ever attack, I won't just freeze up and take a beating! That course has been so fine tuned & perfected that they know just how to 'reprogram' your subconscious, primal, instinctual mind to just take over and use all that adrenaline to fight off an attacker!
Brian, I'm curious about that knowing part. My first instructor was a military guy. He was a good Aikidoist and a relatively unknown and hidden gem within the Aikido community. In regards to his technical skill, he wasn't extraordinary although he had some unique spins on stuff. In fact, one on one, I figured I might have had a chance on a fighting level. Probably even have a pretty good one now as I'm 30 years younger than he is and have some time in the game as well. However, what differentiated him from anyone else I've met on the mat was the absolute certainty that if I engaged him I had to finish him. In other words, if it happened for real, it happened all the way with him and I'd better finish it forever.

Now, interestingly, his knowing in that regards allowed him to actually practice stuff that other's would be uncomfortable with. For instance, during a multi-art seminar he got up during his part and said Aikido is love and did some non-technique opening stuff. Everyone else thought he was crazy and I have to admit that I shared the sentiment. I'm convinced that certainty, at least for him, allowed him to be this way. The knowing allowed him to play in realms that less confident folks fear to tread.

Am I totally off-base here, or is it possibly a similar thing?