Thread: Slow Aikido
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #33
roosvelt
Canada
Re: Slow Aikido

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote:
#3 seems correct. It's not a very fast movement, but the results seem fast to someone with inefficient movement.
Just for fun. I tried defferent "unweighting" on a scale.

1. Jump up.

It's easy to do, no matter how "fast" or "slow" I jump, the scale reading reduced momentarily.

2. free falling/reflex down.

a. Just think/mind/willl my centre down. No change in reading. Proof my internal work isn't good.

b. squat down slowly and in moderate speed. No change in scale reading.

c. reflex/bend knees quickly. the scale reading reduced momentarily.

In skiing, the pushing down/relexing knees to unweighting is common. Though caving is in fad due to introduction of fat caving ski. I'm not a good skier. I won't elaborate on this.

Being in Canada, I have to skate a bit. The hockey stop is a good example of unweighting.

Your feet point forward. You have to somehow make your feet pepenticular to the direction of your traveling. To change direction you have to unweight first. Since both of your feet have to change direction at same time in hockey stop, you can't shift weight. It leaves you only two options: jump up or push down (free falling).

If you jump up to change direction. Your centre goes up first, then you have to lower your centre to use your body weight to apply pressure to stop. The up and down motion is time cosuming and unstable.

If you push down (free falling to lower your center), it's one step technique. Your body weight is already on your skate after chaning direction.

It's only a small time window that you can change your direction. The faster you drop down your weight, the quicker you can stop.