View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Future Teacher - Advice to prepare?

Hi David P,

It is good that you have this objective of eventually becoming a teacher of an art that you have selected to pursue - Aikido. At least, you train with a purpose.

Aikido is more than meet the eyes. O Sensei had said aikido meant different things to different people. By this, he meant that there are many ways to communicate/to explain what aikido is all about - there are many paths to the peak of a mountain. The syllables for "Sensei" or teacher in Japanese means the one who has come before. You have just begun to follow the path of someone else. To be a teacher means leading your students on the path you have chosen and you can only take them to as far as you have gone. Beware that some paths do have detours, crevices to cross and maybe quick-sand pits as well. Somewhere down the road, be prepare to overtake your guide and be prepare to be overtaken. Teaching aikido is not the same as coaching football, swimming or lacrosse, remember that there is the "Do" factor that you have to comprehend and communicate to the students who will come after you. This requires passion of the art itself not (just) teaching for monetary gains or food for ones ego. Ultimately, this is how a good teacher is judged. One will never reach the peak in ones lifetime, what I seek on the path (my criteria) are the challenges/tests my guide (sensei) has set ahead of me and how he would leave the right clues for me to follow (the communication). You will know that you are on the right path when it is never ending and the guide is still ahead of you until s/he is taken away by natural causes or old age. Hence, at the point where one is absolutely sure that one has overtaken the guide (the Sensei), then it is time to look for another even if it means that the guide is within oneself.

To be a good teacher means to be a good student, analyze well and make mental record of the clues left by the teacher(s) before you and pass on the appropriate clues & answers to the students that come after you. Remember the saying "Crappy teacher produce crappy student". Set a high standard for yourself and which your future students will surplus. The path is beyond techniques.

Welcome to the art of aiki-DO.

Regards

David Y

Last edited by David Yap : 05-26-2004 at 06:05 AM.