View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Dewey
United_States
Re: Make spiritual side part of my training

Quote:
George Batton wrote: View Post
Well I do consider myself a counter fighter maybe because of the influence aikido teaching had on me growing up and reading many books on the subject. I suppose I just enjoy the evolution of my skill that comes through hours of practice sweat and perseverance. Eventually a very unique expression of myself is manifested in my movements. I've found that many of the people getting involved in BJJ didn't come from a traditional martial arts background so there was no spiritual side to what they were learning. Therefore, a lot of them are just coming into the dojo to learn how to hurt people. The thing I learned that I especially liked about aikido was that the ultimate aim of it was to subdue the opponent without causing physical harm to him.. That is my ultimate aim eventually with my jiu jitsu practice and hope that one day many years from now it will be the main objective of my students. I'm very far off from being able to teach but hope to educate my students in the more spiritual side of the martial arts.
Right on! Aikido is a self-defense art, and not a fighting art (the difference is like between apples and oranges). The intent of self-defense arts are not to maim or kill your attacker...only to cease their attack ASAP and remove yourself from the situation/scenario ASAP in order to prevent further attacks. The first, and most effective means is to avoid engaging in fighting at all, if possible...which is morally & legally defined as two or more people willingly engaging in combat with one another with the intent of inflicting bodily harm. It's how you choose to use your fighting skills that make all the difference.

Welcome to Aikiweb! Hope to see you participate in the rest of the forum as well. I think you can bring a lot of insight to the folks on this forum, both members and lurkers alike.