View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States
Re: Kodo Horikawa's aiki

Michael-

I respectfully suggest you re-read my posts, because I meant some very specific things that you may be interpreting lightly or perhaps just didn't catch.

When I said "athletic training (as done conventionally)" I meant just that. "Conventionally" means standard weight lifting, running, etc., as has been done in this country for a long, long time. But more and more now, standard sport athletes are looking at putting their bodies in positions of instability and working from there. Not conventional at all. Please re-read what I said earlier about sprinters using coiling/winding techniques. Traditional Olympic weightlifting did not, and maybe still does not, use these techniques. In fact, to my understanding, they try not to put their bodies into unstable positions because that is how they get seriously injured.

When I referred to up power, down power, explosive power, etc, etc, etc, I also meant some very specific things, and from your response, I think you are using a very different set of definitions of these terms than I am. I seriously doubt Olympic weightlifters have any concern whatsoever about the majority of these.

Have you felt Ark? Mike S? Dan H? Even Ikeda? Gone to any of their seminars or training sessions? If not, how can you possibly "call out" those of us who have, and ask us to "clarify" our thoughts and terms for you? Please understand, I am not saying this presumptuously, but rather, honestly and sincerely.

Consider this- would a casual 3 mile/4 days a week jogger tell someone who runs marathons regularly that they "get it" when they have a discussion about endurance and breathing and dealing with fatigue at the 20 mile mark while still performing at a high level? Would the casual jogger ask the serious runner to put this into terms she or he could understand, and really receive any serious or helpful response, other than "you have to go out and do it yourself to understand"? The two people both do the same activity, but with such different goals and levels of training that the same words mean very, very different things to each.

If you are truly interested in these physical skills, you can not, absolutely can not, learn enough or "get it" through discussion alone. This same conversation has been played out over and over here on Aikiweb. Maybe this is why so many people have dropped out of this forum.

John