Thread: Aikido Stories
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Quentin Cooke
Dojo: Burwell
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Stories

Thanks Nicholas,

I appreciate the support and your ideas, which I will follow up on. If I do find suitable material already posted, I might flag one to serve as an example of the sort of thing that I am after, (but only after contacting the poster and asking for permission to do so), but thereafter, I would simply ask if we could use the story.

I am a little saddened to hear that Aiki Extensions does not get too much support here. Of course I am biased, but I know all the people who are involved very well and all give their time for free to promote aikido and many do incredible work, that makes a real difference to some very disadvantaged groups. I have never met anyone in AE who is interested in the politics of aikido and our energy is in fact spent in building bridges amongst the aikido community as a whole, by celebrating what we share rather than seeking to point out the differences.

Ah well, everyone travels their own road and sees what they see, which includes me of course. For my part, AE has introduced me to some truly inspiring people and I love the bridge building aspect, which I will always seek to encourage.

Regards

Quentin

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Hi Quentin,
nice post. What I meant was that, if you did find stories that where published somewhere here, you could post a hyperlink to them in this thread (the link behind the little number in the upper right corner, I believe), and that could make a kind of inventory. Because, as you say, stuff does get forgotten that should be remembered.

However, if that was not your intention in the first place, of course there is no point.

BTW it may be worth looking for a thread from sb (I do not remember the name - but it is the name that two high ranking US teachers have, one from Florida formerly ASU I believe, the one I mean a body worker from the Mid-West ... Paul something?), who had a very similar project a couple of years back.

Aiki extensions, as far as I remember, often meets with hostility here. So its good to remind this community that it is not the centre of the aikido world, and that its widespread cynicism is not necessarily representative. Good luck with your projects.