View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #25
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States
Re: Competition and testing your skills

It takes time and much developement, to get to the different levels of practice. Oyo Henka, Shugyo, Takemusu Aiki...etc. etc. but the key thing when "training" with people of other arts is this, to first have the same mind of why we are training.
(If it is to show that aikido works, or is better or worse....then you have gotten into competition.) I train with people who are not aikidoka, because it is almost too easy to detect what an aikidoka is going to do! But other arts or artist brings on a whole different story.

I also train with others to see what they are doing and study how or what "aikido techniques" would be suitable.

For example... when most people do tsuki kotegaeshi it is almost always with one hand. But I find that with my karate friend that he has the strangest ability to use combinations...???? kick kick, right jab, left hook for eg. So training with him helps me to develope sensing the intentions of his movements.

So there are great benefits in training with others. Also I learned this from a BJJ guy.
Kokyu Dosa is a good practice. But when you have a guy trying to submitt you, and he is holding both of your hands or wrist "Ryote dori" the feeling you get from that comittment is far different then when someone is just trying to help you learn the movement. "It feels reall" LOL

Maybe practicing with others artist is not for everybody...But I sure like it. It helps me to learn and understand more. "And it keeps me honest"

Hey gotta go, love you all

Jjo