View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: Bara Bara training thoughts?

Well... The people in sports sciences study this sort of stuff because there's money riding on people developing their skills. Unfortunately I can't cite the authors in the paper I'm going to describe, but... It's called "decision training". One study was done with baseball batting, where a group of relatively new baseball players were split into two for batting practice. All batters faced 45 pitches a day - 15 sliders, 15 fastballs, 15 curveballs. One half of the group essentially faced all 15 of each type in a row (blocked practice), and the other group faced whatever was written on the slip of paper drawn by the pitcher at random (random practice). The group doing blocked practice initially learned to hit each type of pitch sooner and more effectively but couldn't handle it well when a more-or-less-live situation came up and they were faced with random pitches. The group doing random practice were slower to develop their hitting ability, but were better in the long run than the blocked practice group -even after a period of no practice. It may be because they observe farther back into the pitch to see what's coming. IIRC, When the group that had been doing random practice were presented with the blocked practice situation they outperformed the group that had trained in blocked practice.

The same sort of thing seems to work in Aikido if you don't know what's coming before you actually see it on its way, you may initially get hit lots of times (be nice, now) but you learn to figger out the signals from the attacker while he or she is forming the attack rather than after it's already on the way. Most of the time in most dojo I've visited or trained in, the practice is blocked, we do technique A in response to attack B, four times, and then change roles. Jiyu (sp?)-waza is more like "random" practice, and while it may involve getting hit or overwhelmed more often than blocked practice, we should learn how to defend against a real attack "out there"... I know some (well, many) dojo don't practice for "real" attacks, but - hey - it's a martial art - a "budo"

So - I think - it may in the long run pay off to be rather bara bara.., but it will be frustrating on the way.

Walter

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 12-21-2009 at 04:13 AM.