View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States
Re: Bara Bara training thoughts?

Hi all,

Great ideas about very real subjects and possible scenarios!

Carl,

I am not familiar with your training background or orientation, so I hope you will forgive me if I misunderstand.

My all too brief post simply referred to what I feel the Founder's purpose was of pursuing his curiosity of what Aiki has to offer for himself. He had already answered the other questions about survivability, martial proficiency, and the very ethical question of how we need to defend ourselves, without undue harm to ourselves, and to others.

No question that these very same questions are asked by serious martial artists before, now and in the future. It remains an individual choice to seek out effective systems within or outside of Aikido to do so. A gun permit works just fine.

For myself, I truly attempt to apply the Aiki principles of ma-ai, of not being where the attack occurs. I apply the principle of hanmi, so that I choose to withdraw or execute irimi; I appreciate the non confrontational benefits of kuzushi, verbal and non verbal, and the actual physical techniques, to create the opening I can and will appropriately utilize. Proper shisei gives me added time to see the opponent's attack a bit longer, to run through options on a subcounscious level, drawn from my countless hours of training.The list goes on, but the need to consider fighting first stops now for me.

Question is, are we training to eventually prove that our use of techniques, and the system of choice, will actually function in a fight? If so, we will surely succeed, as that slippery slope is ever enticing and seductive. We become what we think about most of the time, according to Earl Nightingale. We can, and should explore the many ways to avoid physical confrontation as the first resort. This is not what Aiki, and the Founder's Aikido means to me.

The greatest single weapon I have ever encountered or studied, is the genuine smile, which projects the desire for non violence. Yet, you are correct, that to not be prepared for conflict resolution on a more primitive scale, is foolish and unwise. The advice previously given of choosing to master one style at a time, is prudent and advisable.Training in "Aiki", means that we are always willing to learn 24/7, of all aspects of being an effective and responsible modern day martiall artist. After all, I would hate to be incarcerated because I misunderstood the intention of an innocent or an ignorant person. For sure, I would likely be labeled the "aggressor".

The point of the original post may well be lost by now, but I believe that the apparently overwhelming emphasis on comparing fighting philosophies ignores the Founder's message, and his vision. I do hope that the direction of future conversations will include more instances of how to establish and maintain meaningful relationships. , rather than being on the lookout for potential enemies. A quote I like kinda goes like this. "I have had so many problems and scary situations in my life, that have yet to happen.".

Thank you for the opportunity to exchange interesting ideas!

In Oneness,