View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Bara Bara training thoughts?

Heh, funny you should ask.

You say techniques vary from dojo to dojo... try the same dojo where your instructor says one thing and the leading kyu says another!

This has thrown more than one person off to be certain, and confused me at the beginning as well.
[one reason it would be nice to have the instructor consistently come and teach...]

I try to avoid the confusion that comes with showing someone something different by saying, "hey look, this is how I understand it, and how it works for me - do you feel the technique is working, etc.? If so, try it out, or just keep trying the way you know." [And typically the way they know they are having issues with, and then they pick up what Im showing them. Its the freedom of choosing vs. thinking there is a right and wrong way or strict way of doing something...]

The point is that I reinforce the idea that Aikido is about possibilities and relies on underlying principles to make techniques work... not a certain step by step formula. [The step by steps are more like training wheels, but once you take them off, you can lean that bike as much as you want in any given direction... etc.]

When approaching the training this way, only to stop people when I dont feel their technique working, [and by that I mean that I am still stable, they haven't taken by balance, etc.] I have noticed that they gained more confidence and have picked up training faster.

Its that initial insecurity of trying to master a 100 steps, added to the "no not this way" - "but so and so said", etc. that hold people back and frustrate them to the point that they dont even want to show up again.

A good example of using underlying principles to make the technique work:

The other day, despite how terrible I did at the grappling portion of my Thai Boxing/MMA class, I actually pulled off kotegaeshi and got a tap from one guy who is a bit larger than me.

Did I do the correct steps, etc? How could I when we were on our knees in the clinch position - the fact is I got in some weird position to keep him from getting me to tap from which I was able to transition and apply kotegaeshi.

If you were to actually take Aikido and use it in sport, you would see that the "its not done this way" kind of fades away.

So take it with a grain of salt. If anything the various ways of doing an Aikido technique will help you find out how better to adjust how the technique works for you.

After awhile, they will hopefully ignore the differences as you hone your skill and they just see that it is working for you - or they will eventually start training with someone else, etc.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 12-11-2009 at 03:28 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com