View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #21
Reuben

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Malaysia
Re: Integrating aikido with other martial arts.

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Well since your asking for opinions...

Personally Im into the idea of mixing Thai Boxing with Aikido...as well as B.J.J. (for better or worse there is no B.J.J. in our neighborhood.)

I think it would be fun to put on some gloves (that you can grab with) and go for it...kick, punch, throw, pin, etc., all for the fun of it. - but thats just me.

Try it out, see what you think...there may be a valid reason for holding off a few kyus before you do start to cross train...easier on you as far as learning is concerned.

As for who is the toughest - no one...its all a game, have fun.

Peace

dAlen
Anyway I've been training Aikido for quite a few years and have started training in other martial arts.

Right now, I find limited integration potential between Aikido and the arts that I am taking up (CMD and BJJ).

In CMD:
The stance is all different, the weight distribution is different and the strategy is different. Plus you wear gloves most of the time. The whole platform is different and it's hard to integrate.

I do find that CMD through its sparring environment gives me a lot of perception when being attacked as in i can read moves better and am more prepared for unexpected, quick attacks which I think is invaluable.

In BJJ;

Similarly, the Aikido I have learnt does not involve any ground fighting whatsoever.

I believe this should be the same in most cases. I notice that my balance is a lot better and I'm not as easily taken down but that's as far as it goes as it's a completely different set of techniques. I also notice that for my size, I am considered pretty 'strong' due to the techniques in centralization I have picked up in Aikido. My hands aren't easily bent and I can drive my weight into more techniques.

BJJ does have more integration potential due to you having that added ability to fight on the ground should you wish to take it there.