View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Does Anybody Know Whether This Technique Has a Name?

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
No, I am surprised that I have never met this technique before in any Aikido dojo.
I am arguing it is Aikido because it is not harmful to the opponent and it takes avail of ikkyo and tenkan principles. But as said maybe it is not.

Since I have never been taught this before, I am not impressed but rather I am surprised: why I have never seen this before, must be my fault probably.

It was very effective and started as an evolution along the natural lines of the most natural parry one may produce in such a setting.
It _must_ already have a name.

I would be somewaht puzzled if it hasn't. We teach many strange techniques at times, it can't be this one isn't in any official pack.

Maybe it's not aikido after all. Uhm.
Alberto. I'm surprised by your view. I've seen it many times and similar.

I can visualize what you did and see lack of foot movement on your part and a yokomen where the attacker didn't go through.

If you bow and parry through fear and think that's natural then your mistaken. It will work only to the degree of incompetence or lack of strength or power of the attacker.

Plus on the subject of natural you wouldn't duck and parry any yokomen. You would have to move your body in harmony with the motion to meet it in the first place.

So yes it is part of learning Aikido but no it's not good Aikido and not good technique.

You won't see it on video because they only show the correct ones however I'm surprised you havn't seen it and similar if as you say you have been to many dojos. (when trying to rescue a bad situation)

Regards.G.