View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #163
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I think both sides need to be respected.

If someone's Aikido has credibility in social interaction and life...then demonstrate it, and be comfortable in stating martial things are not your interest.
If someones aikido has no credibility in a martial setting, then why enter the martial arena at all?
Why get defensive when people with practical and real skills challenge the obvious martial errors on your part.

There is a great deal of hubris displayed sometimes that does the art little service. The good ones know well they don't have it in a martial venue, and they don't care and say so. The bad ones are unaware of their failures and thus harm the arts martial credibility.

Every martial art has faced the very real tactical demands that it is a martial art and makes no excuses for their identity and success and failure in their chosen venue. Aikido, almost singularly, makes no apology for its failures in the martial venue, and some of its less educated members are instead insulted or even arrogant in stating that their art has risen above the martial. Were that true, than it should be able to demonstrate extreme competence in a martial venue, and just how it has risen above.
If on the other hand, it has chosen to walk away from the martial venue, then it should embrace that and walk away from martial things like swords, Japanese clothing, locking and throwing and be comfortable with that.

I have no trouble training with senior members who were soldiers or bad asses in other areas and are very comfortable in stating that aikido brought peace to their lives and is something OTHER than a martial venue to them. But they are not the self deluded ones who think that what they are doing ...is...a martial pursuit.
It's as simple as the Karate kid
"Walk on road left-safe
Walk on road right-safe
Walk on road middle-squish, just like grape."

Anyone in the middle who keeps making videos like the ones just shown here, (and with a sword in their hand?? Good grief).... opens themselves up for more experienced and educated scrutiny,

You might as well put on a green beret, put on BDUs with medals, pick up a gun upside down and then lead it away from someone trying to grab it and then try telling a spec ops community that you understand war.

Perhaps a better education about what "martial art" really means would help many people, Then they can be comfortable in their own skin and stop defending themselves. They can state openly that what they are doing is not martial and they don't care. You only open yourself and the art up to ridicule by imagining these things have any value martially and film it for an increasingly educated viewing audience. Aikido has many other positive aspects that directly benefit the community and those involved that need no defending
Dan
Dan.
I like this piece by you. I do as I've said before understand your view. You however do not understand mine. (I believe)

Education is indeed a wonderful thing.

My videos do their job for me. They keep away those who wan't to learn how to fight. They show my approach is different. They show there might be something else to Aikido as well. Many people I meet personally have viewed them and and communicate to me. You know what? They are under no illusion as to if that's what they are looking for or not. Job done.

They ALL in my experience recognise it's some kind of spiritual aspect and more importantly that it's my way of Aikido rather than what they have seen before.

The only point of contention seems to be the use of the word martial and effectiveness. When I explain how it is also these things it's not really as a defence it's to show their is something which is martial and effective yet very hard to understand as such.

As many stories you or any one has about meeting people using Ki and finding they couldn't do anything effective on you so I have an equal amount the other way around. However I don't see it as some kind of competition or reason to attack other ways.

Believe it or not I have met numerous Ki people who also couldn't do a thing for real.

A bit like you say in your way of doing things, those that get it benefit. A policeman friend of mine who 'got it' benefitted and it saved his life as well as disarmed a gunman. Now from a martial perspective I call that a success.

Regards.G.