View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #1356
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
They only let me carry the water for many years, so I'll have to say, "no".
Liar! Boys do exactly "SQUAT" in Nepal. They play while their sisters work. They even get carried around by their sisters while the girls are also hauling firewood and water. Go play with you flagstones now.

Quote:
Rgardless, not all labor-assisting tricks are equally obvious, Cady. Some people discover better tricks than other ones. Obviously the ki/qi and kokyu/jin tricks are not obvious because there's many a hard-working farmer or dedicated martial artist who hasn't a clue. So this one (well, the ki one, at least.... a lot of jin stuff is fairly common among Asian farmers in certain areas). Notice that various solutions to the ki/qi stuff were found sporadically in China, India, etc., and there was a great seal of secrecy about not telling people.... if these things were so easily discoverable by hard-working others, that wouldn't be the case, would it?

Best.

Mike
I think the "great seal of secrecy" was more likely to be employed when a particular body skill had a direct martial or "magical" (as in, doing a public demo of "supernatural" skills for the purpose of advertising and selling potions, healing sessions or whatever) use. The everyday skills that people perhaps intuitively developed to carry loads, haul nets and wind big skeins of silk, etc., may have been pretty mainstream, but their possessors never put two-and-two together to associate those skills with any activity other than the one they'd wired themselves for. Average Joe fisherman, compared to someone with a spark of genius who saw the other possibilities.