View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #32
James Jones
United_States
Re: Too many expectations?

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Blimey James, that's a bit of a change from the first post in the thread! I just re-read it and didn't see anything there about MMA competitions.
For the simple reason that competitions are far less important to me than the things on my list.

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
In my experience, the people that ask the most questions (especially those that have actually never tried Aikido) are the ones that never get round to trying it, I get many such e-mails.
That's insulting, considering you know very little about me.
I would have already tried Aikido if it was not for my financial situation. First classes are always free, you say? Yeah, but I would feel like a major jerk if I take a class for free and then not show up again for months later to take my first non-free class. That's just how my personality is.

Quote:
Needless to say, the person did not respond to my reply,
I think my participation on this thread proves I am not like this individual who initiated a correspondance and then failed to reply.

I was very interested in what Aikido had to offer. At least, what I *thought* it had to offer. Then I realized that maybe I have the wrong idea. So I come on these forums, hoping to get some clarification of what I can expect from Aikido. And that's what happened. Don't mistake my taking of advice from the forum members, for something that was just an insincere interest in Aikido. While no one advised me to postpone Aikido, the information I was given by you people, is the direct reason why I have chosen to wait. Basically all of you told me that I can find what I want in other things as well, and it really does not have to be Aikido. Thank you for being honest.

I also wanted to clarify how what I meant about MMA suiting me better financially. Just to be clear, I never meant to suggest that I am going to be some major competitor who makes a lot of money winning prizes. I was referring to the training being cheaper.I want to find a low-cost Judo club, and I could train boxing in a gym. Although the boxing thing I'm not too sure about, because I worry about brain damage. I've done a lot of bag work before, very little sparring, so maybe I'll just start bag work again, and not spar.

Anyway, I just didn't want anyone to think I was full of myself thinking I'm going to be a professional athelete. Even if I do end up competing, it is very far fetched that it would be an actual prize fight. Furthermore, even if I don't compete at all, I'll at least get the experience of learning different things. I would like to learn as much as I can.

Quote:
Janet's post was one of the best ones in the thread, it just came out a little blunt for you.
And here we go with the "you can't handle the truth" crap.

Quote:
You can use the choosing football/ college analogy if you like, but if you can't get yourself to the local club to try a 1 or 2 hour class, then you're never going to make it, regardless of the art you choose. The analogy then becomes an excuse to justify the fact that you haven't done anything yet.
Actually, the fact that I lost a (relatively) decent paying job, and had to take an exceedingly crappy low paying job, has been my excuse. But excuses are for losers I guess. I am a loser though so I guess its okay. My wife makes sure to remind me of that at least once a week.

Seriously, she does...

now what was i saying? oh, aikido, mma, training, job...etc