View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
Pretzl
Re: Aikido Skeptic about to take the plunge.

Thanks very much for all the responses here. And just to clarify- there's no offence intended for any one here as to why they are taking an art. Mine is purley SD orienated.

The advice is greatly appreciated as, admittingly my experience greatly relates to the Aikido schools I had witnessed yrs ago, which I did not favour in the least.

I've trained coming up on 19 yrs, trying about every style that I could-so as to be able to judge/make decisions from experience/ evaluation, and I'm sure like a lot of people here, have seen exc schools, and absolute fraud/schools. Im simply saying- like many others here I'm sure- that because of having to fight regularly, I've learned realities of actual fighting situations that crushed many ideas I originally had about effective training ideas. I also think that someone who stumbles upon 1 art- say TKD, at an early age, and then never has exposure to any other arts- styles...will never have a good working reality of SD.

As for the hangun comparison..I couldn't agree more. thats why we switched to simunition, and moving real life scenarios...in alleys, or woods etc, increasing pressure testing/stress, real life factors etc. I relate your point exactly to MA's. If you train for defence by having someone run at you from 10 feet out with an arm extended, or defend knife attacks with spinning kicks, I feel it's the same dangerous habits.

And I agree 100% with the posts stating you learn to fight by fighting. So... if I'm goingto train to survive, I'll want to make that training as close to actual fighting as possible.

I'm excited about trying this particular club..as many have said here- this particular guy listended to my needs and concerns, and seems to have the same approaches/beliefs I do, and was very forward about letting me train and see 4 myself. . and look forward to sharing my experiences here, and getting more advice, and again am very greatful for the # of responses. Thanks Kevin L..I appreciate the encouragement from a MMA'er.

Last edited by Pretzl : 11-07-2005 at 01:29 PM.