View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #83
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: A Word of Concern to all Aikidoka...

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
You are not explaining ki/qi using the western science model, since science looks at known forces that it can quantitatively analyze. If what you have done so far is to "...explain observed phenomena by people in the past...." then what is your explanation of ki/qi, or do you have one?
??? I have explained some things, using physical terms like "force", "vector", etc. and how to do them. I have said perhaps 3 or 4 times that "ki" is a catch-all term into which a number of factors (mostly unknown forces) were lumped. So when you say "define ki" all I can say is that it's a catch-all term. If you take a specific phenomenon that is considered to be "ki" (but is in reality only one of a number of things that are called "ki") and then say "what is your explanation", we have a discussion basis. So you'll have to pick a component and ask me for my explanation.

However, let's note that I asked you a question, first. I asked you to clarify what you mean by "extend ki". Since ki is a vague term with many components, what you're saying is meaningless. By pinning down exactly what you mean by ki and "extending" it, we can have a discussion that might clarify a few things. At the moment I'm wondering about the broadness of the meaning of "extend ki". You are apparently including the idea of "using" ki as being part of "extending" ki. The core question is probably "what do you do in order to extend ki", the way I see it.

Mike