View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
lbb
United_States
Re: How long does it really take?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
i've read here at this site that 3 times per week is "optimal" and more then that would be diminishing returns. ...
Really? Do you have a cite for that (perhaps, since "optimal" is in quotes)? I've heard people say that 3 times a week is enough to make steady progress, not that it's "optimal".

Quote:
maybe so, but even if you're talented you'll need to practice your cello or aikido or whatever more than 3 or four times per week if you want to be good enough to have "jam" sessions with semi-pros, so to speak.
Right, but is that a good analogy? People don't get hurt playing the cello, and if a rank amateur cello player should misrepresent her skill level and get into a performance of the London Symphony Orchestra, she's not going to end up in the hospital as a consequence. And what's the analog in martial arts terms of having a jam session with a semi-pro? Getting into a bar fight?

Quote:
Okinawan farmers practiced Kare-Te 2 hours a day everyday, after a full day at their farm, I have read and heard.
I doubt that the average Okinawan farmer practiced anything but farming and sleeping for two hours a day every day.

Quote:
train as much as you can, stop counting, and make sure you have ample time for spouse, family, career, and basic play time.
I think that's good advice; however, considerations of spouse, family, career and basic play time doesn't leave a great deal of time left over. For most of us who are not rich and can't afford a maid to do all the cooking and cleaning, a handyman to fix everything that breaks around the house, and a nanny to look after the children, normal people in normal situations where we cannot simply dump off our responsibilities onto others, two hours a day every day is simply not feasible.