View Single Post
Old 12-25-2001, 05:35 AM   #17
guest1234
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan
Yeah, after looking at some books, Gozo Shioda Sensei's had good pictures of the techniques, I have to concur with the oblique angle. That's what I'm after anyway.

At that angle however, I don't think flipping uke over comes naturally anymore.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Yeah, an Iwama style sensei I know says if he does it right, I won't have to worry about taking the breakfall option (because my arm is wound up too tight and I'm already going down, or at least that is how it feels to me)

I learned the breakfall to this from a sensei who studied under Chiba Sensei, but we did not support the arm in that dojo; one of my other senseis, who studied in Japan, teaches the arm support. I personally do not like it, probably because I am short and light: the 'support' tends to be at the wrong ht for me anyway, and I'm light enough that I prefer to just find the right time and place myself and jump over. Again, it requires either nage getting us in that position, or me being able to get ahead of nage enough to be there.

I think the breakfall is more useful when a strong tall nage is unintentionally bracing your arm so you can't move to stay up with his turn, turns only partway, and then cuts down quickly. Or at least that's when I have needed it. I don't know if I'd ever need it if I were a bit bigger, as that 'technique' seems to work best if nage is bigger than uke.