View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #622
Lee Salzman
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Why is that Lee?
Dan
It is fair to say that you showed me there is more than one way to skin the cat, which in this case, was probably an entirely different species of cat, for that matter. I'm not sure I can speak so much about what you do without making a total fool of myself, so I will avoid talking myself into a hole too much for the moment.

I think you put it best when you were saying "What receives, feeds." That didn't make to me sense before, but once I got to feel and see what that meant, yeah, it is something else.

It is fair to say that yiquan doesn't spend much time worrying about receiving, or for that matter feeding. You work on the ability to explode against a solid target the moment it presents itself, and preferrably before that moment. That difference of application seems to trickle down all the way to the bottom basic foundation of how it is all trained.

That and there were a lot of places I was breaking apart nor had adequate mobility while working on the exercises you showed us (as I said when you were adjusting me - I felt like I was going to the chiropractor), a lot of places that as I do the 'homework' and get greater awareness of those places and how to use them, it will be fun to incorporate back into the yiquan training and see how that improves it as well. What yiquan training I have done to date did not really prepare me to do those things, as anyone who worked with me might have noted.