View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #46
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Belt color importance

Quote:
Randy Sexton wrote: View Post
As I advance in Aikido I am finding that I am less and less inclined to offer suggestions or corrections unless I am asked. As a doctor I have been a lifelong student and have been a teacher of medical students and residents for years and it becomes a bad habit.

With my friends at the dojo we offer feedback to each other but only if we know the person wants it and is open to it. Our Sensei encourages us to just do the technique the best we know how and let the person learn by feeling our technique and how we take our Ukemi.

I really am working on shutting the hell up and not be rude enough to "correct" amyone else. I am really trying hard to keep a benginner's mind to learn from anyone and offer suggestions only when asked and "teach" only by doing the technique and Ukemi the best I know how.

To those whom I have offered unsolicited suggestions forgive my arrogance. To those whom I have given bad suggestions I am sorry. To those whom I have given good advice who did not want it I am really sorry. To those whom I have given good advice who wanted it I apologize for ...
Quote:
...not letting you learn it from experience and allow you the opportunity to "steal it" from the instructor on your own. It would mean more to you and allowed you to experience the thrill of those wonderful moments of enlightenment.
Only recently I came to realise the importance of learning this way. It is something I will need to work on as a teacher to allow my students to work even more autonomously. Thanx!

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl