View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #30
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: "No Mind" - What is it?

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote: View Post
I was really hoping you'd post, thank you. I have been reading a book on how we represent time to ourselves and the implications this has in psychological therapy. The book mentioned how the Greeks had a solid grasp of the idea, and this reminded me of this thread. I then looked up Heraclitus on wikipedia and found that I do not have the necessary foundation to understand this. So even more exciting worlds to open up.
Heraclitus' main intellectual descendants are in the schools of phenomenology: Whitehead, Husserl, Levinas, Pope John Paul II, and a particularly accessible, if little read, Irish aeronautical pioneer and polymath, J.W. Dunne, who dealt at length with the personal experience of time and the nature of self-identity.

Heraclitus said: "When you have listened, not to me, but to the Logos, it is wise within the same Logos to say: 'One is All'."

Logos is usually given the translation 'Word', but that is incomplete. A 'word' only has meaning as a part of a patterned system, and Logos speaks to the pattern that confers meaning, reason, comprehensibility to a make a system recognizable as a system, wherein the part speaks to the whole and the whole to the parts. It has very strong affinities for the concept of kotodama, as I see it.

Phenomenology means, trivially, "study of phenomena," or more deeply, experiencing reality as a "systematic pattern (logos) of events."

In this sense-- "no mind" (our present topic), is the mind that is within that pattern and not apart from it -- as Heraclitus says, 'within the same Logos, One is All.'

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.