Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #72
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Multiple attackers, using their idea of what is happening against them

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
This is what the OP stated;
"When I use the word "Aiki" I am describing an ability to understand your attackers mind, physically blend with their physical movement, and letting your attackers spell their own demise"
He does not use the word "evasion" or "moving out of the way.
And neither did I in my first comment. The word "evasion" or as you put it "moving out of the way was introduced by proponents of IP/IS.
And after it was introduced, it was the IP/IS group who started to counterargument it.
That answers this point;
"What is 'aiki evasion'? - i thought we were talking about Evasion being Aiki".

The argument was never that evasion is the same as Aiki.

If I would use an evasive move then it could be called for lack of a better word an Aiki evasion (in my previous post I in fact only used the term to make sure we were talking about the same subject).
I disagree that anyone can do this. Learning to evade and to apply a technique takes a long time to learn properly.

As for waza - for the inexperienced waza is mostly form, for the experienced all waza contain / are based on Aiki.

As for differences in interpretation of the term Aiki, some may have a limited understanding of Aiki or mean something very specific with it or seeking only to apply it to a specific goal. Personally I have experienced Aiki over the decades in a much more broader perspective, which have made me look in a different way at other arts, nature-religions like Shinto and nature itself.
If each person tries to come with a clear description of what Aiki to him is, and if each person keeps an open mind then I think it must be possible to discuss it and to inspire each other.

It would therefore be interesting to see more examples of what people view as important or inspiring to them, then just the example that the OP gave.

Tom
Tom, the OP used a video of athletes evading other athletes and implied it was high level aiki in his opinion; that is what led to the posts about aiki in this thread.

As mentioned, you and I have very different views on what aiki is and we have no common ground on this subject - it is also appears English is not your first language and a lot of your interpretations of what is being posted here do not comes across as related to the context of what was posted - therefore, I see further discussion on this subject with you useless - have a happy holiday season.

Greg