View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #63
lbb
United_States
Re: Very Disturbing news about Clint George

Quote:
Aaron Finney wrote: View Post
If not outside the scope of the original topic, I'm certainly approaching the edge...but the language used in the article says that this teacher claimed the contact was consensual. I think what Giancarlo was asking is at what age should sexual contact be defined as consensual, legally?
And the answer is...it depends. Just in the United States alone, sexual consent laws are extremely variable, not only in the age that's defined as capable of giving consent, but to what acts and with whom as a partner. I would not argue with someone who states firmly that there's a big difference in maturity between a 13-year-old and a 16-year-old (although I might point out that while there should be such a difference, there isn't always)...but it defies logic to say that a 16-year-old in one state is capable of consent and a 16-year-old in another state is not. Yet that is exactly what consent laws would have us believe.

Now, if what you're talking about is sensible legal reform of consent laws...well, first of all, be prepared to be labeled a pedophile yourself, just for suggesting that we touch that sacred cow. But in an ideal world, where a rational discussion about the subject could take place, would it not make sense to consider not just the chronological age, not just the act, but the situation and the relationship between the two? It astounds me that consent laws fail to do this -- and yet, I think we'd probably all agree that the potential for true consent is lowest when one party is in a strong position of authority over the other (a school principle, a police officer, or worse yet, a parent).