View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 05:45 AM   #24
Roger C. Marks
Dojo: Tetsushinkan London
United Kingdom
Quote:
Douglas Mathieu (Doug Mathieu) wrote:
Hi

When I did Judo even though we learned throws from both sides we rarely practiced them equally. Anyone who was serious about competition devoted the majority of their time on at most their two best techniques so they could apply them fast and well.

Personally I like working both sides and feel it has been very beneficial to my co-ordination, etc.
Hmmm. There are a lot of issues here and two sided training v single side perfection is a complex subject.

If we are considering Shiai (contest) then there are perhaps two major considerations. Training theory as expounded by, for example, Jichi Watanabe a past judo champion and a noted proponent of the scientific study of judo,is that repetition of complex movements develops a neurological 'short circuit, allowing for an enhanced reaction and response. Perhaps analogous to the mushin 'open' or 'no-mind' principle of kendo. The second consideration is that contest is two people (in a sports situation)and the reaction of the proposed uke may also be enhanced by repetative training. If the tori (nage) is proficient in both side techniques, then the reaction time of uke is slowed because there is a finite evaluation time that is extended when there is a choice between the two sides and also the 'learned reflex' may only work to a single side. This obviously gives an advantage to tori.

Sport is different to martial art and I would suggest that at the highest level in budo one side/two side is not an issue as budoka shihan are all boy scouts (motto 'be prepared').