View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #89
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: O sensei and 'correct ukemi'

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post

Josh
P.s. Sorry; I think i owe you a couple of answers on other threads.

pps. You have a way with words, my friend. I thought you phrased the delineations between DR and Aikido well. I could not have put it so succinctly. I really hope that Shaun and others will address it, because I think there are a lot of unique perspectives assembled here.

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your contributions and perspective. I will most certainly pan around my mind in search of some nugget or another. Should I find one worth sharing that I believe might make a difference and assist people in seeing my overall point (which I feel has been and still is being missed) I will add it in short order.

I did want to add that upon meditating on particular posts written by two or three people I keep catching the shadow of a corner of a point that I find very both interesting and important as it flashes on by. I have only been responding to other points up till now and need to wait until the words come to me that help to move the essence of what these people have been saying forward in a way that will enhance our movement as a whole. When I say our movement, I mean all of us, regardless of art form, school or perspective. I see it as a possible "unified" theory of collective martial forwardness.

While Dan and I may never agree about the most basic of points regarding that the differences between Aikido and DR are more important than the similarities, not that it is unimportant in any way to understand how they are similar, posting it in a public forum is merely our chance to debate our opposing opinions and let others watch and participate as they see fit. While that is all well and good, it probably serves us in somewhat of a limited fashion. However, the point Dan highlighted earlier in the thread is paramount to our movement that I want to repeat it here. That is that regardless of who holds what opinion, as a whole it is more important that at least we are holding discussions, civilly debating our personally-held points and cross training in open environments and via sincere invitations to come together and share rather than how it was in most dojos throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's. I am sure it is still as it was in many dojos today. Perhaps we can all agree that the ease of obtaining information and the ability to not only read the thoughts of senior practitioners on websites such as this one, but actually email these individuals directly through the internet has served our community well.

Best in training to all...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.