View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #804
DH
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Pete
Nice post and thanks for taking the time. We don't worry much about Eric or really any of the naysayers anymore. As I have mentioned here before the number of men who have felt the three of us and reported back the same or very similar experiences is just inescapable. Trust me when I tell you these men are as unconcerned about the naysayers as can be. I have a whole crew of guys driving from all over to train tomm. They are simply not concerned with their ego's or their training having been bereft of these skills. They need no convincing whatsoever. They are simply going to do the bodywork and fix it. And be the better for it.

It should be a fun 5 years or so, even better... a decade. In the fullness of time, these men, trained with these basics will be out among the AIkido and Judo community, raising the bar for everyone else.
So you are right in that these can be good times for those intent on research. And although I was saying all this on the Aikido list years ago it really was Mike and his constant prodding who dragged my sorry ass out into the open. So there is a measure of thanks due him for his efforts.

Your comments about MMA are true enough on many levels but those of us who were doing our own form of MMA for years, mixing Greco Roman, Judo and Muay Tai weren't doing it with rules in mind- just excellent fighting and research. I don't see any technical or tactical superiority in Aikido as a "grad school" (your quote) In fact all things being equal and were I in agreement with your point -I would be looking at Daito ryu to fulfill -that- role over Aikido. Did you really find Rickson's skills that much beneath Aikido that it would be a grad-school over his skills? As it is I see MMA as a great equalizer over many methods. Further-MMA with internal training? All the better.
You didn't mention whether or not you were going to pursue these skills in your MMA training.
Again great post and thanks
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-02-2007 at 07:45 PM.