View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #108
jss
Netherlands
Re: Kokyu development for Aiki in Aikido

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
I put the caveats in the hope that you will get a better understanding of where I'm coming from. Context is important.
Agreed.

Quote:
I can't say I've ever really managed removing all tension. Certainly not when faced with a strong push.
It's a lot harder with a strong push. No question there.

Quote:
I am more likely to try to keep my center low and raise uke's center.
But how does that work?
If I take the 'mess with the angle' approach, my center staying low and uke's center raising is one of the possible outcomes. It's just a matter of choosing the right angles.

Quote:
Explain away. But I am a fan of visual aids. Feel free to use O-sensei if you want, especially if you can explain what to look for and that the thing is visible.
Check out the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GBuNOrE6WY. Notice how Yamaguchi's hips are slightly tilted back, making his back form an almost straight line.

Quote:
That would fit with my experience. One thing I'm trying to improve on is "grounding a push". My main problem is that I'm not quite sure how to go about it.
Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Have someone push gently (very important!) from the side on your hip in the direction of your opposite foot (so left foot if push comes from the right). Relax as much as possible and allow the push to go straight into your foot. The person pushing should feel as if he's pushing against the ground. Then let him push on your shoulder from the side, then on your extended elbow, then etc.