View Single Post
Old 04-16-2002, 07:31 AM   #11
lt-rentaroo
Bruce, thank you for clarifying the question. However, I still say no. Intense training does not necessarily lead to mastery. I've visited dojo where the workout was intense, but the Aikido (in my own opinion) was not nearly as good as dojo I've visited where the intensity was lower. The reason is simple, by creating an artificially intense workout, free from the possibility of hurting your partner, you will undoubtedly begin to use more of your own force and energy when throwing your partner; in effect, "muscling" your partner, instead of using the force or strength your partner gives to you. And learning to use what your partner gives to you, and effectively redirecting/blending is one of the foundations of Aikido.

Oh, and I work children (some as young as 7) all the time. I find that working with them makes my Aikido better for several reasons. One of which, is by working with them, I'm forced to be more careful and blend, redirect more effectively. Children are like rubber chickens, they will move wherever you want them to. It takes lots of practice to move them where you want them to be using only the energy they give you and not just "muscling" them around.

Last edited by lt-rentaroo : 04-16-2002 at 07:36 AM.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.