View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: How Do You Do This ... Er, Internal Jump?

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
You know this brings up an interesting forum administrative concept. While forum threads take on a life of their own and frequently go in unforeseen directions the originator of the thread does have some say on how the thread progresses. It might not be a bad idea to have a feature that allows the originator of a thread the ability to lock it whenever he/she sees fit. This might eliminate massive thread drift, bickering, etc. Those that want to discuss the thread drift or bicker can start their own thread. I never thought of this until I saw Mark's post but it is an interesting concept.

Of course banning knuckle heads is also a good concept.

Take care,

Mark J.
I've considered this idea before on forums I've run (or helped run). The suggestion amounts to a form of minor moderation on the part of any given user. I don't think it would solve a problem because if you start a thread and don't like what folks say on it then you can just take your ball and go play somewhere else instead of playing the game all other users are playing, the rules of which are set by the forum moderators/owners. Jun is pretty liberal, which is nice. I think there are a variety of tools built into vbulletin that would acheive the sort of effect you're after better than giving users the ability to self moderate threads they start, there is a reputation system where users can award rep points to people for certain posts. There is also an infraction system, both of which might be used before resorting to self-moderation abilities.

In the end IMHO moderating forums is better done by appointed moderators rather than self moderation by users. It just depends on how willing site owners or appointed moderating staff are to get involved in that.

In the end its the culture of the users that make the forum what it is, personally I get sick of all the self-promoting BS I hear from folks and it drives me nuts and elicits unpleasant responses from me in return, so I mostly stay away from aikiweb because of it. I'd prefer that than to lock a thread I started when someone says something I don't like, even if they are just trolling. But thats just me. I think however you'll notice that unlike my occasional rantings, cooler and more sensible heads do just that, they avoid the muck-raking threads in the first instance, maybe I'm just getting too old for arguing with people who don't want to listen and I'm finally learning, by god it took a while...

Just my 2pence.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr