View Single Post
Old 01-31-2001, 09:52 PM   #13
Speireag
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Vermont
Quote:
sceptoor wrote:
Recently, my brother (whom is living temporarily in New Hampshire) said that when he gets back to Tampa, he wants to start training in Aikido with me. I told him, "Why wait??" and found some links to send him via e-mail regarding some dojos in his area.
I live in New Hampshire, right on the border with Vermont. I practice at Shobu Aikido of Vermont, in Woodstock, Vermont. In my limited experience, it is an excellent dojo, and I consider myself very fortunate to be learning there. You don't say where your brother is in New Hampshire, but if he's in the Upper Valley area tell him to come over for a visit.

Quote:
The University club concerns me because they seem to have more interest and training in Judo rather than Aikido, and therefore I am a little sceptical about their qualifications. http://www.dartmouth.edu/~aiki/
I know a very little about that club. One of their sempai is a friend of mine, but I have never seen them practice. He and I have practiced together once or twice, and his technique is very good. I've learned good tips from him. However, it doesn't feel like what I'm looking for, so I've never been tempted to attend, especially since I have my regular dojo to go to.

Quote:
The other website is to a dojo that is founded by a sensei that seems to have dark interests. http://www.blacksword.net/
His site mentions that he is a founding member of this area's branch of the Skeptical Inquirer. If that's the case, then it's a strong indication that he approaches claims of magic rationally and skeptically. I wouldn't worry on that score. On the other hand, I am always wary of someone who seems to claim too much expertise, and he claims quite a lot, including three specialties in legal practice in two different states! His knowledge may be extensive, but such a summary does not give the impression of depth.

The other dojos I know nothing about, though I didn't know about the one in Thetford. That's not far from here. I'll have to check it out.

-Speireag.

Speireag Alden