View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Sensei?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
In general, yes - it's not an entirely negative thing, but it's not for everbody - and it is different in many ways from what is usual in the US. Enough so that I'd question the desireability of imposing one random section of it into a foreign culture.

OTOH, I found dojo atmospheres - even in very traditional arts (and I trained in some of the oldest of the old) were much more relaxed than you find in US dojo - despite the extra rules, perhaps because it's a natural extension of the culture rather than a foreign imposition.

True - but the percentage of folks with real Japan experience is very small, even among senior folks - hence the difficulties.

Best,

Chris
Sure, but city life is neither for everyone. Of course you have a point if we were talking about a random
part of the Japanese culture - but is kohai - sempai not an important if not necessary part of Aikido culture? And therefore more a matter of proper education?

Well, I agree with your second point.

As for your last point - that is regrettably true. Even worse, too many people did not even have a change to interact personally with Japanese teachers during seminars.

Tom .