View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #53
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 8

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
If, for the sake of discussion, we are trading bona fides (which is by no means in my mind some ticket to a discussion about the effects of war and the ulterior feelings or motivations that are involved in both war an budo), but since we are -- if I may ask, what military experience do you have with the Japanese?
None. But I am a member of a small Japanese ryu-ha that goes back 120 years. And, in case you missed it, we're talking about history, not current events.

Here's what I have issue with about your statements. Peter is trying to build an understanding of the context of the origin of Aikido. Your knowledge of the modern Japanese military or the affects of living in an area that was once beaten in battle are in my view non starters. What it's like to grow up in an area that was defeated in war a hundred years before you were born is nothing like the headspace of Japan in the 30's. I too grew up in the south, so have something of a reference point. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu