View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Correlation of Aikido and Daito-Ryu Waza

Mr Driscoll,

I second Ellis Amdur's comments, especially about the Noma Dojo and the prewar texts. I can see that you have shown the correspondence between Daito-ryu and modern aikido, as shown from publications readily available. This leads to two questions:

1. What about the two publications supposedly authored by Morihei Ueshiba himself? I mean Budo Renshu (1933) and Budo (1938). I believe that these are readily available in English translation. However, how would you classify them--as DR or Ueshiba-Ha Aiki-budo, or as aikido?

2. You have based your correspondence on named waza. However, since living in Japan I have practised a number of waza without names and I would not want to exclude these for that reason. In fact some of these waza, particularly the combination of locks/pins and throws, might be thought to be closer to DR than some of the modern stuff. One issue here is that O Sensei is known to have used names very rarely and that the names were largely coined by his students, who were trying to make sense of what he was doing.

Of course, these comments/questions in no way diminish the correspondences that you have established: they concern more the vehicle used to make the correspondences/correlations.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury