View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #42
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
Greg, thanks for sharing. however, i don't agree with the whole esoteric approach. personally, i believed it (aiki) can be trained in a methodical fashion. take the example of the keeping the one point. to me, using learning the alphabet analogy, is like learning letter A then jump to letter G (the one point). folks don't realize that in order to get to G you need to know B,C, D, E and F. you can definitely train for B, then C, then D, then E, then F. by the time you get to F, the one point would be apparent. similarly, i heard Ikeda sensei said to move your inside for years, and i watched folks, from low (me) to high rank, couldn't do what he did for years and years. what wrong with that picture? the answer is: folks don't realize "to move your inside" is letter O, but to Ikeda, it's B. in order to move your inside, you have to train (personal training) a number of prerequisite things before you can do that.

in short (since i am a short person), it's a trainable and in a progressive process. it's not esoteric or mystic. and it doesn't take 20 years or even 10.
Hi Phi,

I agree with your view on the A, B, C... type of approach - each step does certainty provide a base for understanding and learning the next step or level. The esoteric part comes into play at the Step where you need to understand how to use the mind since we all do that differently. Once that is accomplished, then a logical step by step approach is easily implemented after establishment of your personal mental intent baseline, etc.

As for being short, you must be an expert at getting under someone and doing aiki-agae

Greg